A question about Isentress/Truvada

Hi, I just wanted a professional thought about my new HIV therapy. I started Isentress and Truvada a little over 2 months ago and I just feel really "off" I have a lot of dizziness, tiredness, balance problems almost like Im doped up, and just kinda a depressed feeling. I know many other people on the same regimen and most everyone says they have NO side effects. Have you heard of these kind of s/e with my therapy? Should I wait it out and see if it goes away? I mean, it's not a good feeling but I could live with it if I knew it would go away after being on it for awhile. Thanks for your help. Tom

Hello and thanks for posting.

While in general, your friends are right, the combination of Truvada (tenofovir+FTC) and Isentress (raltegravir) is usually very, very well tolerated, I do hear occasional reports of mild side effects.

Indeed, one of my previous students, Dr. Jake Gray and I published the reports of two cases of severe insomnia that developed in patients who switched to Isentress- those symptoms resolved promptly when the patients were switched back to their old medication, indicating that the medication was implicated in this unusual side effect. As I travel about and ask other doctors about their patient's experiences, I'll hear of the occasional (still rare) symptom of the types that you describe. Even the best tolerated drug can cause unwanted side effects is a minority of individuals.

If the symptoms haven't improved after two months (in my experience, many do), I'd discuss how your doing with your health care provider. It's possible that something else is the culprit, but maybe not.

Hope that helps, BY

positive?
hiv poz &pregnant