Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Does reyataz isentress truvada first line therapy indicate pre-existing resistance?
Mar 11, 2012

Hi Dr. Young, I am undetectable on Atripla. My virus has no known resistance as confirmed before starting treatment. I recently had unprotected sex with another hiv positive gay man who is also undetectable on Reyataz/Isentress/Truvada as his first line therapy. Unfortunately he doesn't know if his virus had resistance, but the fact that he is on treatment with 4 molecules is alarming for me. Reyataz/Isentress/Truvada is a rather unusual combo as a first line therapy, isn't it? I know that what I did was very stupid. My question is that what are the chances that I may be exposed to a drug resistant virus? Assuming that his virus had initial resistance to efavirenz, would I be at risk for failing my treatment (Atripla)? I am quite concerned about the possible bad consequences of my irresponsible behavior. Thank you for your help.

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

I'm not one to judge irresponsibility; frankly positives have sex with positives all the time. Superinfection with drug resistance is surprisingly infrequent.

It's pretty difficult to try to read a treatment history into a treatment regimen. Your partner's drug regimen is a bit odd, but I've seen a lot of odd treatments in my day- they don't necessarily mean that there's drug resistance- though they can.

The questions about exposure to a different virus should start first with whether your partner had a detectable HIV viral load, not with the treatment regimen. If he had detectable virus, then there's a possibility of exposure. Of note, both of you are taking regimens that contain tenofovir and FTC (parts of Atripla and the ingredients of Truvada). One might actually assume that both viruses are sensitive to these medications, and therefore, you're already pre-treated against your partner's virus.

Hope that helps. BY

Previous
viral load is not yet undetectable
Next
Sex after PEP

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.