Atripla side effects

I have taken atripla for over a year with minor problems. In the last month I have had pain in my hip bones at night and the joints in my finger sometime lock up at night. Is this a side effect of the medicine or another problem? Could it be cause by lack of fluids? Thank you

Response from Dr. McGowan

Sorry to hear about the pains you have been experiencing.

Joint pain is indeed listed as a possible side effect of Atripla and Truvada (which contains 2 of the 3 medicines in Atripla: tenofovir and emtricitabine). This would be a very rare side effect. Atripla has been assocaied with lowering of bone density and vitamin D levels. While not specifically a joint problem, people can get aches and pains if their vitamin D levels are very low.

You should discuss these symptoms with your medical provider since they wouold be a rare side effect and may be more likely related to another condition. Joint pain and stiffness in the morning is a common symptom of arthritis (rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, lupus) or fibromyalgia. Also have your vitamin D level checked, if you haven't already.

Best, Joe

tphapositive
24 hours fatigue and joint and muscular pains