Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Ribozyme THE latest
Feb 24, 2012

Dear Dr. Young,

I am an infected Father with à young Son. I live healthy and hope to stay à slow progresser for à longer time. My dr. Discusses me starting meds. My hope is on Rybozime, i am trying to stay of AZT or other heavy meds with à lot of Side effects. When i was reading through THE back log of Rybozime questions i saw that it has been à subject since 1999 but no Serious news since 2009. It was written that à Rybozime test was in phase 2 in1999. Do you know what is THE status of THE latest Rybozime developments? Would it be wortwhile to keep up waiting for à few years for me or Will THE risk be higher that à Serious Rybozime solution Will not be available THE coming years.....

Response from Dr. Young

Hi and thanks for posting.

Ribozymes are RNA molecules that possess enzymatic activity (and the subject of my decades-old PhD thesis). There are no current ribozyme or RNA-based treatments for HIV.

That said, research in the field of RNA therapies continues. A nice review of the subject (a bit technical, but gives a good overview) was published by Scherer in 2007. The last citation that I can find on the subject was a phase II study in 2009 by Mitsuyasu and collegues. This study suggests the feasibility of ribozyme gene transfer and possible effects on lowering HIV viral loads.

Other genetic strategies, such as zinc-finger mediated gene targeting are ongoing.

Like many experimental strategies, it will take some time to determine the overall effectiveness and safety of ribozyme-based treatments.

Hope that helps, BY

Previous
gaining weight but HIV positive
Next
nevirapine dosage

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.