Ribozyme THE latest

Dear Dr. Young,

I am an infected Father with à young Son. I live healthy and hope to stay à slow progresser for à longer time. My dr. Discusses me starting meds. My hope is on Rybozime, i am trying to stay of AZT or other heavy meds with à lot of Side effects. When i was reading through THE back log of Rybozime questions i saw that it has been à subject since 1999 but no Serious news since 2009. It was written that à Rybozime test was in phase 2 in1999. Do you know what is THE status of THE latest Rybozime developments? Would it be wortwhile to keep up waiting for à few years for me or Will THE risk be higher that à Serious Rybozime solution Will not be available THE coming years.....

Hi and thanks for posting.

Ribozymes are RNA molecules that possess enzymatic activity (and the subject of my decades-old PhD thesis). There are no current ribozyme or RNA-based treatments for HIV.

That said, research in the field of RNA therapies continues. A nice review of the subject (a bit technical, but gives a good overview) was published by Scherer in 2007. The last citation that I can find on the subject was a phase II study in 2009 by Mitsuyasu and collegues. This study suggests the feasibility of ribozyme gene transfer and possible effects on lowering HIV viral loads.

Other genetic strategies, such as zinc-finger mediated gene targeting are ongoing.

Like many experimental strategies, it will take some time to determine the overall effectiveness and safety of ribozyme-based treatments.

Hope that helps, BY

gaining weight but HIV positive
nevirapine dosage