AIDS diagnosis

Last April 2011 I was diagnosed with AIDS...my viral load then was 1.5 million, had only 4 T-Cells and weighing 108 pounds. My doctor prescribed Truvada+Insentress within 8 months my viral load dropped drasticly as of November 2011 my viral load is now 'undectable' and my T-Cell are now in the middle 400 and I weigh 185 lbs.; I am scheduled to go back this Friday for labs. My question is that since I was diagnosed with AIDS and now undectable, I have a 3 part question; 1. Would it be possible that I go back to work 2. Is it possible to drink wine socially, and 3. Since I am undectable is to premature to switch to 1 pill a day or should I remain on my current regime; Truvada+Insentress.

Hi and thanks for posting.

You're on your way back to health (actually sounds like you're already there).

1. Yes 2. Yes 3. A more complicated answer, but if you're doing well on your current regimen ask what benefit you'd derive from switching versus continuing. There are two once-daily single tablets, Atripla and Complera. Both include the medicines you take in Atripla. Compare the relative strengths and weaknesses (ie. side effects or dosing restrictions) between efavirenz (part of Atripla), rilpivirine (part of Complera) and raltegravir (Isentress). Efavirenz needs to be taken at bedtime and can cause problems with sleep or mood; rilpivirine needs to be taken with a fat-containing meal and one needs to avoid certain antacids. Atripla and your current regimen are both listed as preferred on the current US treatment guidelines, Complera's parts are considered an alternative.

What is best for you? To start, a discussion with your doctor about the merits and weaknesses of the options.

Hope that helps. Be well, BY

pcp pnemonia AIDS
gaining weight but HIV positive