The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Feb 20, 2012

hello. i had protected sex with an hiv + woman just once but we used to kiss deeply yet i had bleeding gums,i dont know if she had bleeding gums too but am really concerned about my health because by the time i had sex with her she had a serious hiv rash on her skin so i think her viral load was high. please help me. i deeply kissed with bleeding gums but had correctly used a condom and i washed my penis with soap and water after removing the condom but am not circumscied. am i infected?

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi I'm glad to hear you had protected sex! Kissing doesn't pose a risk, though having bleeding gums does create an entry point for HIV as well as many other types of bacterias and virus's. HIV is not in saliva so you could not get it from her this way. There has to be a direct exchange of body fluid (blood, semen or vaginal fluid). So is HIV transmission possible,yes , Probable, NO! If you want to be sure getting tested will give you the peace of mind that I hear you are seeking. Rapid HIV tests (meaning you get your results in 20 minutes, whether oral swab or blood are very accurate at 28 days, and conclusive at 90. However, when someone has had a known exposure to someone with HIV, you could perform a six month test, just to be extra cautious.

My husband is negative and we kiss ALOT! We are just aware of our oral health to make sure that we both are OK. And this does mean for you to protect her from picking something up from you.

Hope this helps,

Be well an stay safe! Shannon

Trazodone HCL with HIV meds
test rna + antibody

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint