intelligence and hiv

my son is hiv positive and is not doing very well at school so i wanted to find out there is a relationship. does being hiv positive make him less intelligent. thanks in advance

Hello and thanks for posting.

As a parent, I'm sure you're aware that there are many things that can lead to poor school performance. HIV itself typically doesn't cause significant issues with intelligence, however, there is an increasing awareness (especially among older adults living with HIV) of the risks of asymptomatic and symptomatic cognitive problems.

If you have concerns about your son's intelligence I'd be sure to mention it to his health care provider. Neurocognitive screening and testing might be in order.

Best of health to you and your son. BY

Switching from Atripla
Airborne formula