High Creatine on Atripla

I have been taking Atripla for 6 months now with good results, except recently a creatine level test revealed a reading of 1.6 which is abnormal. My urine was clear and showed no problems. My urine has been tested with no problems, three different times in the past 6 months. I train heavy in the gym four days a week. Could my heavy weight training be the cause of this high creatine reading? My doctor says my renal funcion (urine test) is functioning normily. She plans to test the creatine level again in one more month.

Hello and thanks for your questions.

We'd need a little more information before making an assessment of your situation. At face value, your creatinine level (note that creatinine is different than the diet supplement creatine) is elevated at 1.6. This is a pretty crude estimate of kidney function, which is better assessed using by calculating your glomerular filtration rate (or GFR). GFR is a function of your age, weight, race as well as your creatinine. One of the easy ways to estimate GFR is through the use of online sMDRD calculators. I encourage both doctors and patients alike to track kidney function in this way.

If your muscular, a higher creatinine measurement might be normal.

What's also relevant is how much your GFR has changed since starting on your medications. This is important since some medications, tenofovir in particular, are associated with kidney injury. A loss of GFR over time can be evidence of drug-induced injury. What is important is to not let kidney function decline without making adjustments to dose or the type of medication.

In short though, it seems reasonable to repeat the test (and it would be good for you to be well hydrated before the next lab draw).

Hope that's helpful, BY

just diagnosed
PEP n more pep