Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

just diagnosed
Feb 19, 2012

my cd4 came in at 162 and my viral load 38635, I am worried that my health will continue to worsen if i dont start taking meds yesterday, my doctor schduled an appointment for me for next month. Am I just over thinking? He told me that there are test and meds are expensive, so now im waiting to qualify to get med thru ADDP program in NJ. Sorry for rambling on.

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. You do meet lab criteria for having AIDS, with a CD4 count less than 200. With that, you should be engaging in care and starting on medications in the near future. It's ok to wait to get all of the baseline assessments before starting on meds, but this shouldn't be delayed very long. One alternative approach that we've used in cases like yours is to see if there are any clinical trials that might be appropriate for you- this gets around some of the initial costs of lab tests and medications.

If you were my patient, while waiting for ADAP to kick in for other lab tests and HIV-specific medications, we'd be thinking about starting you on an antibiotic (trimethoprim/sulfa) to prevent Pneumocystis pneumonia.

I hope that helps and wish you well, BY

Previous
change of meds
Next
High Creatine on Atripla

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.