just diagnosed

my cd4 came in at 162 and my viral load 38635, I am worried that my health will continue to worsen if i dont start taking meds yesterday, my doctor schduled an appointment for me for next month. Am I just over thinking? He told me that there are test and meds are expensive, so now im waiting to qualify to get med thru ADDP program in NJ. Sorry for rambling on.

Hello and thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. You do meet lab criteria for having AIDS, with a CD4 count less than 200. With that, you should be engaging in care and starting on medications in the near future. It's ok to wait to get all of the baseline assessments before starting on meds, but this shouldn't be delayed very long. One alternative approach that we've used in cases like yours is to see if there are any clinical trials that might be appropriate for you- this gets around some of the initial costs of lab tests and medications.

If you were my patient, while waiting for ADAP to kick in for other lab tests and HIV-specific medications, we'd be thinking about starting you on an antibiotic (trimethoprim/sulfa) to prevent Pneumocystis pneumonia.

I hope that helps and wish you well, BY

change of meds
High Creatine on Atripla