The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

change of meds
Feb 19, 2012

i used combivir and efavirenz as a pep (unprotected sex with a male sexworker as a receptive partner) but I had severe moodswings and after 5 days my dr decided to change it to aluvia and truvada. is that possible? not dangerous?

Response from Dr. Young

Hi and thanks for posting.

In our country, efavirenz is not generally recommended for PEP, since a significant minority of recently infected persons show evidence of transmitted efavirenz resistance (and hence this medication wouldn't work to decrease transmission).

It's perfectly reasonable to switch to Truvada and lopinavir/ritonavir (Kaletra/Aluvia) for PEP. Indeed, Kaletra/Aluvia is part of the US guideline treatments for PEP.

Good luck, BY

duovir N then atripla
just diagnosed

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint