change of meds

i used combivir and efavirenz as a pep (unprotected sex with a male sexworker as a receptive partner) but I had severe moodswings and after 5 days my dr decided to change it to aluvia and truvada. is that possible? not dangerous?

Hi and thanks for posting.

In our country, efavirenz is not generally recommended for PEP, since a significant minority of recently infected persons show evidence of transmitted efavirenz resistance (and hence this medication wouldn't work to decrease transmission).

It's perfectly reasonable to switch to Truvada and lopinavir/ritonavir (Kaletra/Aluvia) for PEP. Indeed, Kaletra/Aluvia is part of the US guideline treatments for PEP.

Good luck, BY

duovir N then atripla
just diagnosed