Isentress interact with calcium and magnesium?

Hello Doc,

Thank you for your reply ( "switch to Isentress/05 Feb'12) I've been switched to Isentress/Truvada for a week and very well tolerated so far without any issue

Regarding the dosing time, my doctor suggest me to take Isentress twice daily with approximately 12 hours interval So I take it at 6 am and 6pm.

Every morning I usually drink a glass of milk after take Isentress.I also take Vitamin D and Calcium supplement due to low level of vitamin D in my blood ( 42)

I have questions 1. Does milk will affect the Isentress? 2. I've heard that calcium and magnesium can affect the effectiveness of Isentress and even make the virus becomes resistant, is it true?

Please advise

Thank You

Hi and thanks for posting.

It's good to hear that you're tolerating your new medications well.

The dosing time for your regimen is not so critical. Twelve hours apart might be a goal, but if you're off by a few hours, there shouldn't be any significant effect.

As for your questions, there aren't any problems in taking milk, calcium or magnesium with your medications. Indeed, making sure that one has adequate intake of calcium (and vitamin D) is one of the ways to decrease the risk of having bone disease; I recommend this for all of my patients.

Be well, BY

Swine Flu Vaccination
duovir N then atripla