Feb 14, 2012
What is the difference between HIV RNA and HIV DNA? Do you check DNA level? Thank you
Response from Dr. Young
Hello and thanks for posting.
HIV RNA tests measure the amount of virus that is circulating in the blood; DNA tests look for viral genetic material that is inside of cells.
We only rarely order DNA tests; primarily in people who have very low (or undetectable) HIV RNA levels, where there is a question HIV infection.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Fever After Unprotected Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
- Flu Symptoms After Sex With Hooker Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- Jock Itch After Vaginal Sex With Condom What Are The Chances Of HIV
- White Bumps After French Kissing Worried I Have HIV
- Can You Get Hiv If Consumed Contaminated Blood?
- Dried Blood On Cut Hep Risk
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.