For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

isoniazid and alcohol

I was diagnosed with latent TB a few months back and my doc suggested I should be treated for it. I have been HIV+ for 4 years, on Atripla, undetectable, CD4 1006, CD% 37, low cholesterol, athletic and very healthy. I am a social drinker, just a few beers or wine now and then. Will I still be able to consume alcohol while on isoniazid?

Hello and thanks for posting.

I generally don't recommend drinking alcohol while one's taking isoniazid; there's an increased risk of alcohol problems and rarely liver issues. That said, if you choose to drink, it's by no means the end of the world, go easy and understand that you could be a (very) easy date.

Be well, BY

Switch to isentress
hiv/std risk - gave oral with condom