Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

surgeon from india here
Jan 31, 2012

hi doctor, very happy to see u again in this forum.thank u for enlightening me with so many real updated knowledge in this field until now.i still got some doubts to be clarified. i followed myself with HIV antibody tests untill 18 months to make sure that i am not infected after the incident.(receiving oral sex-blow job- from a girl who is antibody negative at the time of the incident, but i am concerned about her window period) then again considering the possibility of late seroconversion and coinfection with HCV. i did only one antibody anti-HCV test at 18 month mark. all these antibody tests came negative only. but,as doctors we cant stop thinking too much about the disease. is there any need for molecular techniques like PCR for HIV and hepatitis C to be performed to rule out even the minute and remote possibilities at this stage.. again i am scared of that molecular diagnosis PCR s getting false positives. so please give positive reinforcement to my negative status at 18 month mark,with your brilliant knowledge and experience in this field.because it will give me strenght of mind to forget this episode and move along with my new marriage relationship.

Response from Dr. McGowan

I cannot claim Brilliant Knowledge, but I am very reassured by a negative test for both HIV and HCV at 18 months. This is well beyond the recommendations for testing. Even if the young lady was "sero-converting" the test would be positive by now. There would be no reason to do the PCR as you have no syndrome of HIV seroconversion and you are negative well beyond the window period, the risk would be (as you point out) for a false positive low-level result which wuold just fuel further anxiety. Congratulations on your marriage...have a happy and health long life!

Joe

Previous
Change of med timings
Next
getting better

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.