Atripla to Complera:now to Epzicom/Isentress

Hi! Doc: Ron here: Just to update: I had the severe rash with Atripla and finally had to give in and stop the med on 12/30/11. Immediate switch to Complera next day:rash continued to worsen to the point that Complera stopped on 1/3/12. I have been off all meds beginning 1/4/12. I did not want to stop the Atripla: Had great results:in two weeks VL went from 46000 to 596 and CD4% from 17 to 29%... but there was no choice. Again, I have been off all meds since 1/4/12. Within the next day or two, I will begin Isentress/Epzicom (waiting for mail order). My HLA blood test was negative for reaction to Epzicom. Would you give me your thoughts on the Isentress/Epzicom combo? (effectiveness and side effects??) Also, your thoughts on me being off meds for probably what will be about 16 days? (effect on VL and CD4 count?)

I know that I may developed resistance to the long half life drug in Atripla, but I will most likely not be able to take Atripla again. My ID doc said that the reaction could be even worse if it was started a second time. Thanks again, Ron

Response from Dr. McGowan

Ron,

Sorry to hear about your reaction, but it is certainly a well know possible side effect. the 2 weeks off meds inbetween should not compromise your treatment results. The new combo should work well (I am sure that your doc had tested for any "baseline", pretreatment resistance). There is no cross-allergy potential between this combo and the Atripla.

Good luck, Joe

CD4 decline after switch to Isentress
Change of med timings