The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

truvada to ricovir-em

Jan 14, 2012

hi. i am an Hiv positive person living and working in Thailand. i have been on truvada and sustiva for two years now and doing quite well. My cd4 is around 600 and viral load less than 40 copies %30. i am about to go and get my monthly supply of medicine but, i am told that Thailand has run out of Truvada. I'm really worried. However my doctor told me that they could let me try Ricovir-em isntead. I have never heard of this medicine. do you have any information on this medicine and would it replace Truvada? I only have medicine for another 3 days so i'm starting to panick a bit. I would really appreciate your opinion on this. Thank you very much.



Response from Dr. Young

Hello Frank and thanks for posting from beautiful Thailand.

Ricovir-em is a generic coformulation of tenofovir and emtricitabine (FTC), the same medications in Truvada. While I have no direct experience with Ricovir-em, the manufacturer, Mylan has received FDA approval for other generic HIV medications (for use in certain countries outside of the US and Europe)- as such, I'd think that the quality of the medication should be reasonable.

No need to panic, but it's reasonable at any treatment change to monitor for any changes in side effects or lab tests.

Let us know how this works for you, BY

reyataz dosing
Atripla and osteoporosis

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint