Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Vitamis addict?
Jan 11, 2012

Hello Doctor BY, I am a little concern about the vitamins supplement that I am currently taking . My Mother say that I am a little addictive to them ,I would love to hear your opinion ,here is the list of all the supplements . SUPER B-COMPLEX ACAI (ANTIOXIDANT SUPPORT) VITAMIN D 1000 I.U CALCIUM VITAMIN A 8000 I.U VITAMIN C 500 MG SELENIUM 200 MCG TRIPLE OMEGA (FISH,FLAXSEED,SAFFLOWER AND OLIVE OILS) GREEN TEA PLUS HOODIA 315 MG LUTEIN 20MG ZINC 50MG VITAMIN E 1 MULTIVITAMIN (CENTRUM) CO-Q10 PROBIOTIC

I DRINK A LOT OF GREEN TEA BECAUSE I LOVE IT , DO YOU THINK THAT IS BENEFICIAL?? MY CD4 IS HIGH AND MY VL IS UNDETECTABLE WITHIN 24 WEEKS AFTER STARTED TREATMENT . DO YOU THINK THAT I AM OVER DOING SUPPLEMENTS? PLEASE DOCTOR BE HONEST . I HAVE TO MENTION THAT I STOP VITAMIN E AND A FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS BECAUSE SOMEONE TOLD ME THAT IT CAN AFFECT MY KIDNEY I BELIEVE THAT BECAUSE MY RIGHT KIDNEY WAS BOTHERING ME AND WHEN I DID STOP THE E AND A VITAMIN IT WHEN AWAY.

PLEASE HELP!!!

DAYLET .

Response from Dr. Young

Hello Daylet and thanks for posting.

I'm not sure I'd call vitamins addictive, but from what you've posted, you do indeed take a lot of supplements.

In general, I'm not a big fan of needless supplements, but rather suggest to my patients that they focus on getting a balanced diet, rich in fruits, vegetables and grains. At the most, I recommend taking a multi-vitamin and, if one's diet (as is common) is low in calcium and vitamin D, these supplements.

As for the rest, (and I'm sure that this will kick open a hornet's nest of complaints) I find them to be over-promoted, evidence-lacking and a waste of money.

Be well, BY

Previous
POSITIVE HIV 1 ANTIBODY TEST BUT NO RNA FOUND IN PCR TEST
Next
reyataz dosing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.