Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

possible hiv infection for 1 year old baby?
Jan 8, 2012

I have a baby girl who is 1 years old and I'm dying with guilt and stress of possibly infecting her with HIV.

About 2 weeks ago, I went on a business trip to China and I had vaginal sex with a "hostess". At the end of our session, she became really dry and we had to use lubricant. After I finished, I realized the condom had broke for the last 5 minutes.

I'm afraid because she was dry at the end when the condom broke that we could have tore her lining which would make a possible infection easier. Also, she is high risk because she is a "hostess".

About a week after my incident, I started getting flu like symptoms (fever within 5 days, fatigue within 3 days, cough within 3 days, muscle ache within 5 days, lost of appetite within 5 days, and diarrhea within 14 days,) and now I'm stressing that I might have contracted HIV from the "hostess".

Before these symptoms occurred, I had unprotected sex with my wife last week once. She is breast feeding my baby girl.

I'm really worried because from what I read, the initial period of infection is the most contagious which means I could easily have passed a potential life threatening disease to my wife and my baby girl.

My questions would be: 1 - What are the chances that I gotten HIV from the "hostess" and then transferred to my wife who then transferred it to my baby girl through breastfeeding?

2 - How long can a 1 year old possibly live if she is infected and we start treatment ASAP?

3 What treatments are available for a 1 year old for HIV?

4 Can she grow up to live a normal life ever because of HIV?

I'm going for testing in 2 days (16 days after the incident) but I've been stressing out dearly because of this and I would appreciate any advice or answers.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi, As we here at The Body are trying to get caught up with questions. You have most likely received your test. But wanted to go ahead and answer this one for others who may have wanted to hear the answer. So... Question 1. Getting HIV from the hostess, Probable but not likely. If you did become infected than infecting wife, chances a little greater as it is easier for a man to infect a woman than vice-verse. And breast feeding is a risk for mother to child transmission. 2. I am currently working with several youth, between 19-25 that were born HIV Positive and are healthy and doing very well. We are very confident that at any age getting on medication and being adherent and taking care of yourself people living with HIV can have a long life. 3. Many of the same treatments that are available for adults except they do different dosing is used for children. 4. Yes a child living with HIV can life a normal life.

I hope your test came back negative and that this will be a lesson learned for your future in keeping your family safe.

Be well, Shannon

Previous
Toliet Roll
Next
HIV Transmission and Exact test of confirmation

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.