RE: A Huge Thank You, Happy New Year and would like to Donate

Hi, I was the guy with the previous post: "Have you ever seen this situation before?" You responded immediately and really helped clear my confusion and frustrations in which I'm greatful for! The fear that can generate from a false positive screen test can really send the mind into a whirlwind of doubt and anxiety. But I have learned tremendously from this experience and have since educated myself on hiv and how to continue to be safe. Although I had no reason to believe I was indeed infected, My mind searched for anyway to convince myself I was and I went crazy. I will keep it as short as possible, but what started this doubt was when I took my first test and the doctor (who worked at a workers comp clinic and was very unprofessional) read my results backwards and told me, "your test was negative but at the same time positive) I went into shock and began panicking. He said "I'll leave you alone for a second to compose yourself" and walked out the room. When he came back, he was kind of chuckling and some of his lab technitions were peeking in the room I was in giggling. I didn't understand. When I went for my second test at my family practice, my original doctor told me first of all, that medical facility gets a lot of complaints and my results were negative and should have been interpreted and discussed that way. When took additonal test which was the viral load, and second screening, he explained the reason I could have had a false positive was from a.cortisone injection I took 28 days prior that could have triggered a response from my immune system and the elisa was very sensitive and anything could have cross reacted with the test. He told me no additonal test is warrented because I no significant risk or exposure to the virus. He tild me to relax but understood why I freaked in the first place. He wrote a nice letter to the previous medical place with references of how the previous doctor could educate himself on reading results to future patients (lol) The previous doctor of course was embarrasses and offended and he called me saying, "I'll have you know I have two degrees and I'm not an idiot!" He apologized than hung up on me. True story, I can't make this up. So I write back to you in a huge and humble thank you for confirming my negative satus granted a one time, safe sex encounter. As you can see, I didn't even believe my doctor. One thing is for sure: I will remain in abstinence moving forward. This was enough for me. Anyway Joe, You're the BEST. Please advise where I can contribute a donation for tour cause. HAPPY NEW YEAR! :)

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks and Happy New Year to you too!

I am glad this ordeal is behind you, and it illustrates that many docs have alot to learn about how to interpret HIV tests.

Joe

CD4 collapse even though undetectable.
razor blade risk??