Unprotected Receptive Vaginal Sex and Necessity of PEP

I am a female who had unprotected vaginal sex with a partner who is HIV+. He withdrew before ejaculation. No other STIs present. He is on ARVs so his VL is low but not undetectable. It has been about 36 hours. Should I seek PEP? Thank you.

Hello there, There are studies that have come out stating that if someone who has HIV, is on medications and their viral load is undetectable that the likelihood of transmission is small. With your partner being on medication but not undetectable it is worth a phone call to his Health Care Provider about the possibility of starting PEP which needs to be started within 72 hours of exposure. I think it is important to know that though he did not ejaculate there most likely was pre-cum which also carries HIV.

In kindness, Shannon

grapefruit and hiv meds
Medication Costs