Group N

Hello Dr. Mac Gowan happy new year!

You say a elisa at 6 months is conclusive in spite of symptoms. Elisa does not detect most of the group N HIV infections Elisa detects only few group N HIV infections giving a weak positive

If the elisa fails in most cases of HIV group N

As you may know that the world has only 12 or 13 cases of HIV group N

As my doctor says there is no group N in Argentina? How can my doctor say that?

Somo people around the world with compatible symptoms and negative ELISA HIV- As you can tell I have no group N ?

Elisa fails in most cases in group N only very few cases are detected by ELISA, generally give false negatives in Group N.

if I had all the symptoms as you may say that I have the group N.

If the ELISA test fails, as can know that the group N is only in Africa and now in France.

I think there are many cases of undiagnosed HIV group N I think I'm one of them

Response from Dr. McGowan

There have been many studies to look for the spread of HIV in teh world. Group N, as you report remaions very rare and restriccted to certain regions in teh world, were even there it is only a tiny part of the epidemic.

At any rate you have had a negative PCR test which would have picked up a group N strain if you had it.

No need to worry, you have a much much better chance of winning the lottery!

Joe

WORRIED PATIENT: BANLEC AND HIV
Just diagnosed... panicked waiting for doctor