Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Possible mutation of the virus?
Dec 29, 2011

Dear Dr. McGowan. I sought an answer to my question in the forum and not found. As I understand it is common for hiv virus mutation occurs after initiation of treatment with AVR's. Is possible that a person from a recent contamination may be contaminated with the virus "new"? If so, treatment from this new class of virus is effective '. Well as I understand it would not do a treatment like this, for they would be exceeded. Another issue yet I am HIV - (I have tested negative at six months after contact, HIV I, II) it is possible I may have contaminated with the virus mutated and is "negative exams"?. Thank you for attention.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question.

When a person is infected with HIV, it mutates to escape the pressure put on it by the immune system. It is this reaction to the virus that causes a "positive" test result since we measure antibody against the surface of the virus.

There would not be a negative test because of this mutation, in fact it is because the immune system puts pressure on the virus that causes the mutation in the first place.

Mutations that occur in infected people do not lead to a lack of antibody to the infection.

Best, Joe

Previous
RE: Question for Docs
Next
Thanks for answer: 7-day gap between regimens

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.