Possible mutation of the virus?

Dear Dr. McGowan. I sought an answer to my question in the forum and not found. As I understand it is common for hiv virus mutation occurs after initiation of treatment with AVR's. Is possible that a person from a recent contamination may be contaminated with the virus "new"? If so, treatment from this new class of virus is effective '. Well as I understand it would not do a treatment like this, for they would be exceeded. Another issue yet I am HIV - (I have tested negative at six months after contact, HIV I, II) it is possible I may have contaminated with the virus mutated and is "negative exams"?. Thank you for attention.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question.

When a person is infected with HIV, it mutates to escape the pressure put on it by the immune system. It is this reaction to the virus that causes a "positive" test result since we measure antibody against the surface of the virus.

There would not be a negative test because of this mutation, in fact it is because the immune system puts pressure on the virus that causes the mutation in the first place.

Mutations that occur in infected people do not lead to a lack of antibody to the infection.

Best, Joe

RE: Question for Docs
Thanks for answer: 7-day gap between regimens