Resistance to Atripla

I've been taking Atripla since 2007 and have never missed a day. This year my viral load has become detectable with about 600 copies. I've also had a couple of viral infections this year as well.

IS an indication that I might be becoming resistant to Atripla? If so, is there another one pill a day HIV med I can start to take insted of taking multiple pills?

Hello and thanks for posting.

Would appear that you've been exceptionally adherent and virally suppressed for a long time. In this context, a single detectable viral load, while understandingly concerning, but especially in light of a possible simultaneous viral infection, is probably not of great significance. You've not mentioned your CD4s or any change in CD4, but absent a large decline, is also reassuring data.

A repeat viral load test (when your not otherwise sick) should likely show a return to undetectability.

As for the unlikely case of drug resistance, there's only one other one-a-day pill (tenofovir/FTC/rilpivirine-- Complera). Given the overlapping drug resistance profiles of the two, it's not likely that you'd be able to take another one-a-day.

Fingers lightly crossed for you, BY

How To Start HIV Therapy?
HIV related KS