Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Resistance to Atripla
Dec 23, 2011

I've been taking Atripla since 2007 and have never missed a day. This year my viral load has become detectable with about 600 copies. I've also had a couple of viral infections this year as well.

IS an indication that I might be becoming resistant to Atripla? If so, is there another one pill a day HIV med I can start to take insted of taking multiple pills?

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

Would appear that you've been exceptionally adherent and virally suppressed for a long time. In this context, a single detectable viral load, while understandingly concerning, but especially in light of a possible simultaneous viral infection, is probably not of great significance. You've not mentioned your CD4s or any change in CD4, but absent a large decline, is also reassuring data.

A repeat viral load test (when your not otherwise sick) should likely show a return to undetectability.

As for the unlikely case of drug resistance, there's only one other one-a-day pill (tenofovir/FTC/rilpivirine-- Complera). Given the overlapping drug resistance profiles of the two, it's not likely that you'd be able to take another one-a-day.

Fingers lightly crossed for you, BY

Previous
How To Start HIV Therapy?
Next
HIV related KS

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.