Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Isentress & Truvada Resistance
Dec 22, 2011

I just started taking meds for the very first time a few days ago. I'm currently taking Isentress & Truvada however my doctor didn't tell me exactly how to take them so my wife has been giving me the Isentress at 1am and then again at 1pm and then the Truvada at 3pm. However since I'm kind of new to this and haven't found any good answers I am wondering if taking the meds this way is okay as its still taking the Isentress twice daily and the Truvada once daily or should I take the Truvada with the 1pm dose of Isentress to avoid resistance or does that matter as long as I don't miss any doses. My wife has several alarms and she never misses a dose on any of my other meds as I also take Letaris for Pulmonary Hypertension and I've been doing that for 2yrs now without a single missed dose as we both know that the Hiv meds and the pulmonary hypertension meds are like a marriage and have to be taken on time every day so I'm not worried about missing a dose. I just don't want to end up with a resistance to the Isentress & Truvada due to the lack of knowing whats the best way to take them. I would imagine the way I'm taking them is okay but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Your expertise and thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated

Response from Dr. Young

Hi and thanks for posting.

There's no strict rule for when to take your particular regimen, though you could make your life a bit easier by taking the Truvada dose at the same time as one of your Isentresses.

It's good to strive not to miss any doses of medications, though our medications are now good enough that you don't have to be neurotic about either the hour of dosing or the rare missed dose.

In the end, it's your regular monitoring labs that will indicate if there are any problems, but from what you've described to me, you have little to worry about.

Be well, BY

Previous
atripla with or without food?
Next
sorry to bother u Dr Benjamin

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.