environmental blood transfusion

Hi Dr. I want to ask you a question about mosquito. This question is quite silly But this is big matter for me. Question is- In my wash room so many mosquitoes are there. I wash my face with a normal Foaming soap in that wash room. I have so many acne on my face, neck and chest region. When I wash my face with soap, I applied the foam (developed from soap along with water)On my face and continuously scrubbing or rubbing my face with that foam. During this some mosquitoes present on my wash room is come in contact with this foam applied on my face and they do not escape from the foam. I continuously scrubbing my face with foam. Due to this my acne get broken. And the mosquitoes which are attached to my face (due to foam) are also get broken. Due to this some blood is come out from my broken acne as well as crushed mosquitoes body. It is possible that the blood present inside the mosquitoes body is come in contact with my broken acne due to scrubbing my face with soap. My question is that if that mosquitoes are come after sucking the blood of HIV infected person and then it attached to my face. Then tell me that can i get infected by HIV which is present inside the mosquito? and what will be the chances of HIV infection to me from that mosquitoes?

Response from Dr. McGowan

HI, This is a question that has been floating around (along with the mosquitos) from the time we first learned that HIV is spread in the blood.

the answer is, NO, we do not have to worry about catching HIV from mosquito bites.

According to the CDC: Studies conducted by the CDC and elsewhere have shown no evidence of HIV transmission from mosquitoes or any other insectseven in areas where there are many cases of AIDS and large populations of mosquitoes. Lack of such outbreaks, despite intense efforts to detect them, supports the conclusion that HIV is not transmitted by insects.

The results of experiments and observations of insect biting behavior indicate that when an insect bites a person, it does not inject its own or a previously bitten person's or animal's blood into the next person bitten. Rather, it injects saliva, which acts as a lubricant so the insect can feed efficiently. Also, HIV does not reproduce (and does not survive) in insects. Thus, even if the virus enters a mosquito or another insect, the insect does not become infected and cannot transmit HIV to the next human it bites (http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/qa/transmission.htm).

Happy Holidays!

Joe

Another Brazilian worried. (Joseph a big hug)
Post Nasal Drip after a bad cold