PIs with food

Hello. I have been on Epzicom with Norvir boosted Prezista for about 7 months and have just hit an undetectable viral load. When I began, I decided it was important for me to take my medications in the morning before I went to work. Both Norvir and Prezista are indicated to be taken with food. This creates trouble, and I did not consider that I would be needing to have regular blood tests WHILE FASTING. What is the reason these are indicated with food and will it cause a problem to take them once a quarter without food?

Hello and thanks for posting.

From the PREZISTA website: "PREZISTA must be coadministered with ritonavir and food to achieve the desired antiviral effect. Failure to administer PREZISTA with ritonavir and food may result in a loss of efficacy of darunavir."

A single dose taken on an empty stomach for lipid testing won't have any real impact of the overall effectiveness of the combination. Moreover, while lipid (cholesterol, triglyceride) testing is recommended by current treatment guidelines, you don't need to have this tested quarterly. Rather, I'd check in the 3-6 month range after starting and annually thereafter (unless otherwise indicated).

I hope that helps, BY

schedule for atripla
Kaletra side effects