Peru question follow-up

Dr. Young,

WOW that was a fast reply. Thank you!

NO NO NO I was not irritated with your reply at all nor the question asker per se. Just irritated in general with the vast ignorance and mis-information out there with respect to HIV/AIDS.

Just an example of when I disclosed to a friend I was positive. Them: Are you afraid of coming down with AIDS? Me: Well actually I have AIDS. Them: As eyes get wide and about pop out, shouldn't you be in the hospital? Me: No I shouldn't I'm not sick at the moment. Them: Oh I thought people with AIDS had to be in ICU or an AIDS Ward. Another person asked me how many months I had left and when I said I don't have a crystal ball he looked at me like the FEMA director did after Katrina. I didn't even attempt to explain my understanding of the currct research on longevity in today's era of HAART. And yet another couldn't get over the fact that I had oral surgery and some dental work done knowing my sero-status.

Thanks for letting me vent a bit.

J

Hi and thanks for your reply.

I'm glad to hear that it wasn't my reply that had irritated you. Happy to let you vent.

I do understand your point. AIDS need not be a death sentence, nor a reason to turn your friends into "heck of a job" Michael Browns. Ignorance about HIV and science in general is the fuel for many of these things.

Happy (and non-irritated) holidays to you, BY

DRACO and HIV
atripla and zidovudine