weight and hiv

Hello Doctor Young, I am happy with my treatment , my #`s are great and my VL is undetectable. But I want to know how much weight should I lose w/o afecting my health? I am 5`1 foot tall and 157 lbs ,I need to get down to 130 but does that will affect my health ??? this HIV stuff is to complicate for me , I think about every move I make , I just don`t want to damage my body or give an oportunity to this virus to wake up!!! my cd4 are very good 700+ . Please answer!! Thanks

Hello and thanks for posting.

Being overweight puts one at risk of many health related complications, including diabetes, hypertension and heart disease. With our communities of individuals living longer with HIV, the potential for long-term health complications increases.

The way that we generally look at your weight (or overweight) is through the calculation called Body Mass Index (BMI). The NIH has a very nice on line BMI calculator. From this one can determine your BMI of 33 puts you in the obese category. The calculator estimates that a healthy weight for you is less than 130 pounds. This isn't an emergency, but a process that will require the assistance of your docotor and health care team.

I hope that helps. BY.

PEP combination
The question from Peru on 12-13-01