I WANT TO BE OFF MY MEDS!!!!!

I have AIDS. My CD4 count dipped to 44 in 2009. I've been on Atripla since mid 2009. It is now Dec 2011, and my viral load is undetectable and my CD4 count is over 500. I want to be off all meds. What would happen?

Hello and thanks for posting.

I suppose my question to you is why do you want to be off all medications? Is it because of side effects? Disclosure? Hassle?

Understanding the answer is important because it would help shape the most individualized reply.

Do know that with your very low initial CD4 cell count, that I wouldn't generally recommend stopping treatment. Your at risk of very rapid decline of your hard-earned CD4s back to your pre-treatment levels- typically in a matter of a few months. Furthermore, there are well designed clinical trials that also suggest that in the weeks after stopping, your risk of complications (and even death) could be significantly increased. Lastly, some people that stop their medications experience a recurrence of acute retroviral symptoms.

For these reasons, I'd again ask why you desire stopping. If it's because of inconvenience or side effects, newer alternate treatments could address your needs without exposing your health to unnecessary risks. I'd suggest a candid conversation with your doctor to help sort our your best options.

Be well, BY

Mistake on labs ????
Dermavir study, please help