HIV resistance

Hi Dr, I was recently diagnosis with HIV and my last negative test was 8 month before. I can not take Atripla beacuse of virus resistance, I will start Truvada, Prezista and Norvir regime onece a day. My viral load is 150,000 and CD4 is 312 so my HIV specialist recommended to start the regimen now. I want to know if I got the virus with this resistance, it means that I was infected by somebody who was in treatment? or the virus mutated after I was infected? Where can I learn about this topic. Thank you.

Hi and thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear about the transmitted drug resistance. This means that the virus that you were infected with likely came from someone who had drug resistance, likely because of poor adherence to a treatment regimen that contained the one or more of the medications in Atripla.

It is very unlikely that if you are treatment naive that this resistance emerged after you were infected.

To learn more about this, look at our forum category called "Resistance and Resistance Testing", or you can search on the term "transmitted HIV drug resistance".

Hope that helps, BY

remune...
too much stressed doctor!!!! please help!