Pregnant on Atripla..please help

Hello Dr,

This is the third time i'm sending this question. Can any of you be kind enough to respond please? Would you please advise how soon I have to stop taking atripla when I'm pregnant? Can I keep taking it until the first trimester withouth hurting the foetus? thanks. JJ

Response from Dr. McGowan

The first trimester is the time when the organs of the body are formed in the fetus. This generally occurs in the first 10 weeks or so of the pregnancy. The brain and spinal cord are formed in teh first month of pregnancy. This time is the most risky to use a medicine like Atripla. This is because one of the medicines in Atripla, called efavirenz, may cause birth defects. So you should switch to something else as soon as you can. Speak with you obstetrician about having special monitoring of your baby through having a high resolution ultrasound to see how the bay is developing and having your bllod tested for alpha-fetoprotein test.

Joe

Treating Atripla rash vs quitting Atripla
Noni Juice