The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

sir please i have been posting since 1 month need atleast answer sir.anxiety building up
Dec 11, 2011

i tested negative for HIV antibody tests 3,6,9,12,15,18 months ..all came out to be negative..later i came across article on Hepatitis C co infection and delayed i tested at 18 months for HCV antibodies and it came out to be possible route of exposure was oral sex with a girl (she gave me blowjob) and i touched her vaginal fluids with bare my concerns here are is there any possibility of contracting HCV through my encounter? For HCV I did only antibody testing at 18 months,should i do any PCR TESTING for this? is there any possibility of delayed seroconversion with regards to HIV and any further testing should be done to rule out even the remote possibilities,because i am getting engaged this month and i dont want to give even the slightest chance of infection to my partner.. please answer me and relieve me of my tensions to move forward with my new relationship.

Response from Dr. McGowan

No, you do not have to worry about having contracted HIV or hepatitis C from your encounter 18 months ago. The testing you have done is adequate to be certain that you are not infected. The risk of contracting HIV from oral sex is very very low, especially since you were the receiver of oral sex. HIV does not exist in the saliva in amounts high enough to be infectious (that would increase if your partner had any open sores or lesions in teh mouth). There are no known cases of HCV being transmitted through oral sex on a man (fellatio) or a woman (cunnilingus). Also touching vaginal fluids with intact skin poses no risk to you.

Relax and practice safe sex in the future.



  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint