how long can i live doctor

recently infected and diagnosed. planning to check cd count soon and to start atripla if cd is anything below 550. I heard there is more chance to live longer if patient starts ART at higher cd count. am i going to die soon doctor? i am becoming mad day by day. i want to live. can i doc? of course i will be killed by HIV sooner or later one day, either directly by the virus or indirectly due to drug toxicity. Dr Bob even could not respond to modern therapies and he left us. so i am a nobody in comparison to Dr Bob regarding healthcare and the treatment facilities he received. I am sorry for Dr Bob, but his death shocked me with extreme fear. If he cant fight what about people like us? So, the question is how long can i live if i am detected at early stage? Thank u doctor.

Hello and thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. Of course you can live; indeed, many people are living well with HIV. This does require getting into and staying in medical care. Early detection and appropriate use of HIV medications generally prevents AIDS-related complications. As such, I'd expect you to live a normal quality and quantity of life.

You are indeed not any more or less special than Dr. Bob (or Magic)- anyone with access to care and medications and willing/able to be adherent can expect this.

Fear not. I think that many have made far to much of Dr. Bob's untimely passing- suggesting that this had something to do with HIV or HIV treatments, despite all reports to the contrary. Unfortunately, people die all the time of all sorts of things, even HIV negatives. In my clinical infectious disease practice, we'll occasionally see otherwise healthy people have severe infections, and sometimes even die from them. To claim that Dr. Bob's family is deceiving us on this point does a disservice to his memory.

Be well, BY

Atripla outside USA
different strains