Can't start on Atripla because of resistance, what do i do?

I found out I was positive recently and have elected to start meds now. My doctor states that my CD4 count is high enough and my viral load is low enough where I don't have to worry. However, today I was informed that my HIV type is resistant to Atripla and I have to go on the three-a-day cocktail. Three pills a day for the rest of my life? I don't mind it, but aren't there other options?

Hello and thanks for posting.

You're unfortunately among the ~10% of individuals who are initially infected with drug resistant HIV. The choice of a first-line regimen for you is entirely dependent on the type of drug resistant pattern that's present in your virus.

For now, most of the regimens that we'd use to treat virus with transmitted resistance require more than one, and usually at least 3 pills. Perhaps in the future, there will be easier options.

Hope that helps. BY

how long a single regimen work?
forgot atripila last night