Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

how long a single regimen work?
Dec 8, 2011

hi, i know its a big gambling question and varies from patient to patient. still, from statistical data and your experience, how long a single regimen (for example atripla a day or 2NNRTI+1NRTI combo) can work at a stretch suppressing the viral load maintaining a good CD4 count? In one reply, u told to one of our friends that there has been no single AIDS death in the clinic u work. For how long this wonderful thing is being maintained there? 6, 8 or 10 years? What is the expectation of added life years for a newly infected person from ur experience? Thanks doctor.

Response from Dr. Young

Hi and thanks for posting.

Your right that every person has their own story and experiences, but I've got patients who have been on a single regimen for over 10 years. Older regimens tend to have been changed out because of various toxicities and gains in the simplification of treatments.

As for the AIDS death question, it's been a very long time since we've had an AIDS-related death among patients who are in care. It's important to note that people still die of AIDS, primarily among those who are recently (and very late) diagnosed or people who fail (for one reason or another) to stay in care. We're trying to compile accurate numbers, but I'd guess it's been at least 6 years (since 2005) since this has happened, perhaps longer.

Lastly, how many years of added life depends on the age of diagnosis and other factors. I still hold to the expectation of a normal life expectancy (in the US, that's 78 years for men). So, that means if one's diagnosed at age 25, I'd plan on about 50 more years. Of course, as they say, individual results may vary.

Hope that helps and, happy holidays to you. BY

Previous
How soon to stop Artripla while pregnant
Next
Can't start on Atripla because of resistance, what do i do?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.