Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Time to start meds?
Dec 6, 2011

I tested positive exactly 2 years ago. At the time I had a CD4 count of 830 and so I felt somewhat fortunate to have a healthy immune system. One year later (in Jan of 2011) my CD4 count had dropped precisely about 100 to 730 which I understand is about the average if untreated. I thought it might be a while before I get to under 500. However, in the last year my drop has accelerated, taking me from 730 to 540 and to 460 by now. This has been really surprising as my viral loads do not seem much higher than they originally were? Is it common for the "slope" of my decline to change so significantly from the first year to the next? I am about to discuss this latest result with my doctor but now I am eager to start meds as i know guidelines do now suggest that counts below 500 warrant treatment. Thank you for your insights.

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

You raise some interesting points about monitoring labs and when to start treatment.

First, with regard to your CD4s, I'm not so sure I'd interpret your values as a change in slope (to do so assumes an absolute "truth" in the first differences, rather than the larger trend). Changes in slopes though can occur and are often (but not always) accompanied by an increase in HIV viral load. Whether one assumes an inflection in change or not, the rate of decline predicts that your CD4 decline will continue with time. As such, the interpretation about starting medications soon is both reasonable and well thought.

BTW, current guidelines do recommend treatment when counts are below 500, or for many conditions when CD4s are above 500, including those persons whose CD4s decline at greater than 100 cells per year.

I hope that helps. BY

Previous
should commit suicide doc? dont lie...please.
Next
Starting on drugs

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.