Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Regarding treatment
Nov 30, 2011

Hello! I've recently been diagnosed as HIV+. My cd4 count is 240, I'm still waiting for the result for viral load. I don't have other problems, my health is quite good, just my lymph nodes are a bit swollen, other blood tests didn't show anything worrying. My doctor said I should start treatment. It will take a while until all the paperwork is done and depending on how quickly the romanian system is. My question is, how important is to start treatment as soon as possible? How progressive is the disease in general? Do days count? Should I try and find treatment somewhere else, abroad? Because in Romania it's possible to take more than a month (plus I'm a bit worried because last year there was a shortage of medication and patients didn't receive their pills when needed. Hopefully that won't happen).

Response from Dr. McGowan

I am sorry to hear about the systematic problems getting access to treatment.

Treatment should be recommedned for you based on the CD4 count. It is not an emergency and if you are able to start meds in a few weeks you should be fine. Your CD4 count is still above 200 and you are not at immediate risk for an opportunistic infection. The goal is to bring the Cd4 count higher to get you away from danager, restore the balance of your immune system and prevent non-AIDS conditions (such as early heart disease, kidney, liver and memory problems) that may occur over time.

Best, Joe

Previous
Dr Mc Gowan thanks very much
Next
isentress and truvada first dose.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.