Regarding treatment

Hello! I've recently been diagnosed as HIV+. My cd4 count is 240, I'm still waiting for the result for viral load. I don't have other problems, my health is quite good, just my lymph nodes are a bit swollen, other blood tests didn't show anything worrying. My doctor said I should start treatment. It will take a while until all the paperwork is done and depending on how quickly the romanian system is. My question is, how important is to start treatment as soon as possible? How progressive is the disease in general? Do days count? Should I try and find treatment somewhere else, abroad? Because in Romania it's possible to take more than a month (plus I'm a bit worried because last year there was a shortage of medication and patients didn't receive their pills when needed. Hopefully that won't happen).

Response from Dr. McGowan

I am sorry to hear about the systematic problems getting access to treatment.

Treatment should be recommedned for you based on the CD4 count. It is not an emergency and if you are able to start meds in a few weeks you should be fine. Your CD4 count is still above 200 and you are not at immediate risk for an opportunistic infection. The goal is to bring the Cd4 count higher to get you away from danager, restore the balance of your immune system and prevent non-AIDS conditions (such as early heart disease, kidney, liver and memory problems) that may occur over time.

Best, Joe

Dr Mc Gowan thanks very much
isentress and truvada first dose.