Trizivir+Stocrin+Atripla

I have been on Trizivir+Stocrin therapy in year 2002 til 01.01.2003.than take a pause.In 2010 I start taking Atripla both for HBV/HIV and in September 2011 I stops because of numerouse side efects(lung problem,skin, and neurology).didnt have a resistance test before starting Atripla treatment.Now in december I am thinking to start Atripla treatment again or change my therapy.Unfortunately, dont know my blood work from feb.2011 til now.What is the risk for my HBV/HIV.With respect, M.r.h

Response from Dr. McGowan

Dear M.r.h

Both times you were on treatment the combinations contained efavirenz (Stocrin and part of Atripla). If you had gotten side effects from both regimens (you only mention the Atripla) then it may be from efavirenz since it was common to both. If so then your new combination may best be with a different treatment.

The Atripla contains 2 medicines active against hepatitis B which is a great plus. These 2 meds are also part of Truvada which might be part of a new combo if you do not wish to restart Atripla.

Lastly, if your viral load was suppressed (undetectable) when you stopped the Atripla (and assuming you stopped it all at once and weren't missing doses for a while) you may be able to retstart Atripla again. If not your virus may have built up resisatnce. Best to have a resistance test sent off, sometimes the mutations will stay detectable for some time, especially efavirenz mutations.

There are other combinations to look at that may cause fewer side effects, but they must also ttreat hepatitis B (tenofovir, lamivudine or emtricitabine). Speak with your doctor about your options.

Best, Joe

Re: CD4 not rising much on Atripla
PCOs a result of Atripla????