HIV Specialist or Primary Care Doctor or Both?

My current primary care doctor is an HIV specialist in a busy medical center. Our appointments generally run about 15-20 minutes every 6 months at which we go over my labs and then talk about any other problems.

My issue is that due to my doctors patient load I often feel rushed. Sometimes I am hesistant to bring up minor issues such as things related to dermatology, lipids, blood pressure and more routine factors.

Is it appropritate to have 2 doctors? One for HIV and one for more standard care? Is this common? I don't want to offend my current doctor. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Hello and thanks for posting.

You've asked a very important question- one without a single answer and one that has been the topic of many discussions. Here's a link to a recent summary.

In my view, it's good to have expertise in all of your medical needs. If your current HIV care provider is competent and willing to do the primary care, then all the better. If not (or if your medical situation is otherwise complicated), a dedicated primary care doctor can definitely be of value.

I hope that helps, BY

Atripla for Eternity?
Weight gain