severe insomnia

I have had insimnia for 10 plus yrs and been on ambien that long. recently tried restoril,trazadon,lunesta and none of them worked so out of frustration my pcp said sorry nothing he could do. I switched pcps and she she put me on valium 5 mg read the insert that not to take it if your on norvir which i am on. PLEASE HELP....

Hello and thanks for posting.

Sounds like you've got pretty bad insomnia. Before discussing your possible drug-drug interaction, I would be remiss if not to mention that there are multiple causes of insomnia- each has it's own solution. For example, many of my insomniacs have mood problems (like bipolar disorder or depression), others have sleep apnea. Others yet have problems with their prostate gland that causes them to wake in the evening to urinate. As you can see, each has a different treatment, and the sedatives that you take could possibly not be the best for the things that are the cause of your symptoms.

As for the drug-drug interactions, yes there is an interaction between Norvir (ritonavir) and Valium (diazepam). The interaction is caused by ritonavir blocking the elimination of diazepam, hence increasing and prolonging the diazepam effect. This can usually be addressed by using the lowest effective dose of diazepam, and increasing the dose with close clinical monitoring. Since 5 mg is a low dose of diazepam, I don't think that you're in any immediate danger.

I hope this helps and that you find restful sleep. BY

severe back pain with half dosage Epzicom
Exercise and Sauna