follow up

Hi Dr. Joseph I ask you a question subjected as "sharing of needles" and thanks for your posting. My question is

âHi Dr. once day I share a syringe with my friend (which is not hiv negative) to taking the drug.(its my first time to taking drug and sharing needle with another person) after taking drug my friend told me that he perform unprotected sex with a prostitute two days before.( he perform a sex first time in his life. Before that he never perform any sex) My question is that, if this prostitute with which my friend perform a sex before just two days is hiv infected. Then there will be chances of getting hiv infection to my friend. If my friend get contaminated by hiv from this prostitute can my friend able to transmit the hiv just after two days from possible explosure? By any way means by sexual contact or by sharing needles. Because I share needles with him after two days from possible explosure can I get contaminated by hiv from my friend Due to sharing of needles?â

And you post me as âThe simple answer to your immediate question is, no, you are not at risk from acquiring HIV if your friend was only exposed 2 days prior. It takes several days for the virus to get into his blood stream. The longer answer is that you need to take steps to protect yourself from HIV. If you continue to inject drugs you need to find a source for clean needles that have not been used by anyone. You do not know all that your friends may do, including sex or sharing needles with other people, that is just human nature. Sex and drugs go hand in hand, and so does HIV, hepatitis C, hepatitis B and other sexually transmitted diseases. Use of condoms and trying to look into drug rehab are the things you need to focus on to stay clear from HIV.â Then my follow up question is

my friend exposed 2 days prior. If Instead of 2 days we assume 20-22 days then what will be the chances of hiv infection to me by sharing needle?

Response from Dr. McGowan

If your friend were exposed and infected with HIV 20-22 days prior to your sharing needles with him than there wuld be a risk for you becomming infected. Of course there are many factors here that affect that risk: The prostitute may not have HIV infection. Aasuming she is positive, the chances of getting infected after a single sexual contact is about 1 in 300. The earliest virus usually gets from the lymph nodes into the blood is about 2-3 weeks, so this would have to be at the very earliest that virus might be in his blood.

So the odds are very much against it even 20-22 days later.

It is always a good idea to get yourself tested, especially if you are sharing needles, especially since your friend may be fooling around. As discussed, you should try not to share needles with anyone.

Joe

something not well understood in the last question
My CD4 count