Treatment Failure

I have been Viramune and Truvada forever. I have a small blip of 174. If this turns out to be a failure, I am curious what my options are. I assume Emtriva is the most probable failure. If that is the case, any recommendations what would be a good new drug? I thought I remembered that AZT and Emtriva have mutations that contradict each other. Would it make sense just to add AZT to my mix for a bit? I am not resistant to anything else.

Thanks, Ash

Hello Ash and thanks for posting.

In the vast majority of cases, a single viral load that's below 400 (after being suppressed "forever") is not an indicator of treatment failure or drug resistance. Indeed, I'd only recommend that the viral load test be repeated in a few weeks (and after a period of optimal adherence and lack of other infection or vaccination). I'd wager you'll find that the 174 test was a viral "blip", and not indicative of resistance or future treatment failure.

If you have a confirmed elevation in viral load (especially if above 1000 copies/ml), then the next step isn't to guess what the resistance pattern is, but rather to get drug resistance testing. Resistance testing is recommended in this circumstance by all national treatment guidelines of Europe and North America. I would certainly not recommend adding AZT to your regimen, just because.

Hope that helps. BY

should i give another dose of isoniazid
new answer from Argentina please.........