The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I do viral culture? Please answer me before I commit a error.Urgente please
Nov 9, 2011

Viral culture need?

HIV specialists advised me to make me an HIV viral culture. I had over 15 symptoms (folliculitis, enaltema soft palate, mild fever, bumps on the side inside of the cheeks, maculopapular rash, vomiting, nausea, jaundice, lichen planus, seroxis, atopic dermatitis, rash in severe back. Inguinal lymph pain, night sweats, diarrhea, recurrent thrush, white tongue and more and more and more ....)

Risk: my boyfriend without a condom conilingus practical one. Rubbing genitals. without a condom.

He knows many HIV + infected in Africa. do not know if he had sex with them.

My boyfriend has a phobia of condoms, because they lose the erection.

I have a qualitative PCR negative at three months. I have 20 negative ELISA HIV test 1/O/VIH2

My test does not detect the N subtype and subtype H j K or not some forms reconvinantes

Response from Dr. McGowan

I am sorry to hear that you have been unwell. I do not recommend that an HIV culture be done. You have had enough testing to rule out HIV. Unless he has been traveling in Cameroon I would do no further tests. Your symptoms are not specific to HIV. In other words, there are many other potential reasons to explain them. Also the exposure you had was low risk since there was no penetration. Also, have you asked him to test himself for HIV? If he is still negative than he cannot have transmitted it to you. Best, Joe

Neuropathy and meds

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint