sharing of needles

Hi Dr. once day I share a syringe with my friend (which is not hiv negative) to taking the drug.(its my first time to taking drug and sharing needle with another person) after taking drug my friend told me that he perform unprotected sex with a prostitute two days before.( he perform a sex first time in his life. Before that he never perform any sex) My question is that, if this prostitute with which my friend perform a sex before just two days is hiv infected. Then there will be chances of getting hiv infection to my friend. If my friend get contaminated by hiv from this prostitute can my friend able to transmit the hiv just after two days from possible explosure? By any way means by sexual contact or by sharing needles. Because I share needles with him after two days from possible explosure can I get contaminated by hiv from my friend Due to sharing of needles?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Hi, thanks for your question.

The simple answer to your immediate question is, no, you are not at risk from acquiring HIV if your friend was only exposed 2 days prior. It takes several days for the virus to get into his blood stream.

The longer answer is that you need to take steps to protect yourself from HIV. If you continue to inject drugs you need to find a source for clean needles that have not been used by anyone. You do not know all that your friends may do, including sex or sharing needles with other people, that is just human nature.

Sex and drugs go hand in hand, and so does HIV, hepatitis C, hepatitis B and other sexually transmitted diseases. Use of condoms and trying to look into drug rehab are the things you need to focus on to stay clear from HIV.

Best, Joe

help
pain