Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Once daily Isentress.
Nov 8, 2011

Dr. Young,

Ive been taking Isentress/Truvada all once a day for several yrs. I read online that pilot study showed promise. So, I have been taking it all at once from the get go. I never told my provider. She just likes my labs. Undectable VL and 1400 tcell count. Much easier for total compliance. Than trying to squeeze in twice a day. Plus any unwanted side affect not experienced during the day. I do have some minor insomnia with this combo. But, thats it. The easiest tolerated combo Ive ever been on. I dont condone going against professional advice, but working great for me.

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for sharing your experiences.

Your's is not an uncommon report. Indeed, the large QDMRK clinical trial [note: I'm an author on this publication] that demonstrated that once daily raltegravir (ISENTRESS) was less effective than twice-daily showed that the differences between the two strategies, while statistically significant, were relatively small- 83% vs 89% had undetectable viral loads at 48 weeks of treatment (with tenofovir/FTC). This regimen is indeed very well tolerated for the vast majority of people who take it.

If you've been successfully suppressed and tolerating your regimen, I'd see little reason to change the dosing, particularly if you have concerns about your adherence to twice daily meds. On the other hand, make sure you take a look at the best scientific evidence to guide your decisions (but that, in part is why you're writing), and if you have questions to speak to your health care provider.

Hope that helps. Again, thanks for posting. BY

Previous
Anti HAV Total
Next
scared of infection

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.