The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


Oct 22, 2011

Hi, i was dianosed a year ago. i have not been to doctors since. i never did get a cd 4 count done or anything. anyways almost a year later and i been feeling ok. sore throat once in a while hear and there. i did get shingles back in april. it was very mild. so now i want to get my widon tooth pulled. i have this one would have to cut gum a bit cause its deep down. anyways i went the other day , but then thought maybe i shoud not do this cause i might get a infection in mouth. my question is is it safe to get wisdon tooth out, say if i do have a low cd 4 count.? i will be getting medical help in three months when my insurance kicks in. thanks hope for a quick responce.

Response from Dr. Young

Hi and thanks for posting.

It would seem to me that your first steps after getting diagnosed are to connect with a doctor that you can trust and who is knowledgeable about HIV. Getting a complete clinical, physical and laboratory evaluation is needed to assess your health and immediate health requirements.

It is entirely ok to see a dentist if you have HIV infection; indeed, routine dental care is strongly recommended. I don't see any particular reason why with a low CD4 count that you shouldn't have dental care that you need.

Hope that helps, BY

Low-level viremia
DMARD Interaction with Hiv Therapy

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint