Severe Neck Pain

I have been diagnosed for 6 years. I have been taking Didanosine (400mg) and Truvada for two years. When I was last checked, the medications were not working as well as hoped, but not enough to change according to the doctor. Now I am living overseas, taking my meds regularly, but I have recently developed severe pain in my neck that seems to come and go throughout the day in severity but is always present and especially bad at night. It is like a viral feeling of achiness couple with waves of pain in the neck and shoulders. I will not see my US doctor until December.

Hello and thanks for posting.

I have a couple of thoughts.

First, neck pain is not a side effect of HIV medications. The causes of neck pain range from mechanical (arthritis, muscular or disc; or nerve compression/impingement) to more serous issues of infection or tumor. The later would be pretty unusual in one who was otherwise doing well. Stress/muscle tension or underlying bony problems are more common causes. A simple set of neck X-rays can help begin to sort out the issues.

Secondly, I'm concerned about your treatment regimen and the issue of effectiveness of the regimen. "Not working as well as hoped" makes me concerned that your viral load wasn't suppressed despite adequate adherence. If this is the case, the there's risk of drug resistance, treatment failure and disease progression. Further, the regimen that you're taking is very unconventional and triple nukes (like your regimen) are not recommended and I wouldn't prescribe unless there were very unusual circumstances.

Do you have a local doctor? Which country to you reside in currently?

Please feel free to write back. Be well, BY

Mild fever after stopping PEP - side effect?
MEDICATION INTERACTION