HIV Care in the US vs. India
Oct 10, 2011
Three days ago I found out that my brother been diagnosed with HIV. My brother is a US Citizen living abroad in the Middle East. We are trying to decide where he should go for treatment, India or the US. Considering I live in the US, I would prefer that he comes here. I feel he has this option available to him that others don't.
My question to you, is he better off going to India or come to the US? My main concerns are:
1) Will he has access to the same medication that he would have access to in the US?
2) Medication is expensive in the US but there are programs to help obtain it. Is the medication is less expensive in India?
3) Access to care in general?
I don't expect you to have the details but I am looking for any info that is available that would help me convince him to coming to the US or support him during his journey to India. If India it is, do you know of any specific location that he should go to based on my concerns?
Response from Dr. Young
Hello and thanks for posting.
Sorry to hear about your brother. There are very good HIV care centers in both the US and India (though I'm less familiar with the details of India).
1) Medications are generally available for people in both countries; though there are some differences. For example, all approved HIV medications are available in the US, not always the case in India. Generic co-formulations of medications are available in India that are not available in the US.
2) There are a variety of assistance programs, but citizenship may affect eligibility. Medications are generally much less expensive to purchase in India.
3) Access to care is a function of insurance/payor and citizenship. I'd need to know more specifics about these before making specific recommendations. Regarding India, there are high-quality care centers in the major cities (for example, New Delhi or Mumbai). In both countries, I'd suggest connecting with an AIDS-service organization (ASO) for details and advice.
I hope that helps, BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Purple Spots Could I Have Acute HIV Infection
- Sore On Penis Could I Have AIDS
- Black Spots After Touching Dried Blood Worried I Have HIV
- Muscle Ache After Giving Oral Sex Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Sore Testicles After Licking Vagina Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Glands After Kissing Cut On Lip Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.