Re:Possible way of transmission? Please help.

Hello. Thank you very much for answering my question. I posted it below. I understand that the virus would not survive in this condition and that there would have to be blood-blood contact. What if I had cuts in my mouth? I noticed that my gums do bleed at times when I brush my teeth. I did brush my teeth before we left to the restaurant where we waited an hour to be seated. My wisdom teeth are actually coming in too, however I cannot recall if I was bleeding in my mouth at the time of chewing. If I was bleeding at the time when I was chewing the plastic, would I be at risk? I did mix my pasta well before I started eating it. Would the temperature of the pasta possibly kill the virus? I'm sorry for these questions. I'm just concerned that the plastic could have been contaminated with blood. I don't want to ignore this if it can be serious. I very much appreciate your time to answer these questions. Thank you so much.

Possible way of transmission? Please help. Sep 25, 2011 Hello Doctor. Yesterday I went to a restaurant and found that I was chewing on a piece of plastic. I didn't pay much attention to it because I thought it was the shell from the shrimp. Now I am concerned about the plastic possibly being contaminated with blood. It is like a thin piece of plastic, so I don't think it is the shell. From what I have learned from Thebody.com, is that HIV or Hepatitis can't be transmitted this way. Should I be concerned about possible HIV or Hepatitis exposure? All I did was eat the pasta and shrimp and chewed on the plastic. I didn't swallow the plastic. Should I go to a doctor regarding PEP?

Response from Dr. McGowan

No you do not need to consider HIV post-exposure prophylaxis fro the situation you describe. There is no blood-blood contact. Even if the plastic had been exposed to blood the amount of virus would be negligible and the cooking would kill any virus. In addition eating/chewing is not a high risk behavior for acquiring HIV. Do not worry.

I would try another restaurant next time.

Response from Dr. McGowan

I would repeat that this would not be a risk for HIV transmission. Any sores in your mouth would not change that. Please try to relax and move on. I am sorry that this has upset you so much.

Joe

help needed. regarding oral sex transmission of HIV
STI Autofellatio