Guy with dry mouth tested

Dr. McGowan,

Thanks for responding to my question about dry mouth recently (link: http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Meds/Q217494.html). I couldn't deal with the stress and anxiety any longer, so took your advice and tested before 3 months. I did it via the Home Access testing kit. Everything I read about this home test was as good as a regular laboratory test. Anyway, received my result via the phone today and it was negative; obviously I was glad to hear this and am cautiously optimistic.

I drew my blood via the Home Access kit at exactly 65 days (9 weeks, 2 days) from potential exposure. I know I have to repeat in 25 days to confirm my result, but in your clinical experience how frequently do you see someone test at around the 2 month mark as negative and then end up positive?

I just don't understand what is going on in my mouth. I cant tell if it's dry mouth or more of a candidiasis of the tongue...but it is very dry and quite white. Very little saliva being produced. A faint area of redness in the middle of the dorsal surface.

One final question: can you seroconvert while still experiencing the syndrome or do you not produce detectable antibodies until your body has overcome the syndrome? In other words, if I am still experiencing symptoms related to the syndrome and my body hasn't "won" that battle, is that maybe why i tested negative?

A big thank you.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for the follow-up and I am glad that the results were good.

Seroconversion usually occurs dueing the time of the symptoms...that is why many of the symptoms occur, it is the body reacting to the spread of the virus. So, if a person was having symptoms and was still testing negative weeks after the symptoms it wouold be very very very unlikley to be from HIV. So no, I would not expect the test to turn positive at this late stage.

Best, Joe

Temporary Meds Switch
u didnt understand my question.